Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MY NEW HOBBY

I know a lot of you have been wondering why my posts have been sparse these last few weeks, and now I can reveal the answer; I've taken up a new hobby! The Vintagent will become bigger and better, and the biggest expansion of content will be in the field of crochet. :0

Crochet is the perfect complement to Motorcycling, and it's really much safer than riding. My first project was simply a petrol tank cozy, but once I got the hang of the technique, there seemed no reason to stop.

The engine cozy was the most fun. My only regret, and I'm being vulnerable here, is I was too scared to make my first crochet project on my Sunbeam. Now that I've done the work, it's a little disappointing that I used my wife's Yamaha Radian. :(

But don't worry! The Brough Superior cozy is next! And I'm going to use black! That should be smart... ;)

21 comments:

Guzzisue said...

I've been telling people for years that textile craft and biking make good partners, thank you for showing the evidence :-)

Vonsontag said...

Youre're so right. I've read it on the Sartorialist's : crochet is the new flat black.

Chris Bartlett said...

Perfect for riding to your local tea and bridge party with the ladies of Sunbeam Rest Home. This thing really needs a sidecar.

Anonymous said...

Happy April 1st.to you too!

David in Fort Lauderdale said...

Happy April Fool's Day!

Anonymous said...

Well it is about time you posted some truly interesting content on the site. I will have to take a picture of the cosy on my Buell, it is a real hit with the rest of the boys at bike night!

KG said...

Awesome. But it looks like it is both knitted and crocheted. Correct?

vintagent said...

KG, you win big points - it is indeed a combination of knit and crochet. I didn't want to brag, but thanks for noticing.

Anonymous said...

Paul
Poison d'avril. Crochet. I was so close to putting a comment on there.
Nik

[sorry Nik, I put your comment on anyway!]

Affer said...

This'll be one of them Japanese Crotchet Rockets, yes?

Anonymous said...

Getting a little crochet-ty in you old age? Nice tire warmers!

Charles said...

i'm pretty sure I just soiled myself from laughing so hard. thanks

Anonymous said...

wait one didn't dkw or some other German arms oops motorcycle maker do a knitting machine as part of their postwar , we were only following orders , come to think of it crochet must be the works effort a kind of super knitting machine , boy this new mag is going to be great
dave

Anonymous said...

Very good Dave! NSU started life making knitting machines...

max schaaf said...

your are sick and i hope you never get well.

YJH said...

dear paul, this post prooves you are a top ten editor_congratulations

LUCKY said...

Im at a lost fer words you must of had one boring winter!

Conchscooter said...

That's nothing. My Bonneville knits me sweaters on it's days off.Pity I have no use for them.

southsiders M.C. said...

Paul
next time you come in France, I'll present my Grandmother! you'll be good friends for tea-time

Doug said...

Is that a Yarnmaha or a
Krochetasaki?
AWESOME thought went into that guys!!

Anonymous said...

I still can't get over the knitting blog post in it's fantasticalness. I just work up from a dream thinking about it!