Monday, November 28, 2011


Just in time for Xmas...Bench and Loom are offering a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to ride with Giacomo Agostini, just you and him.  I can't afford it, but some lucky bugger can...why have a Steve McQueen replica whatever, when you can ride with a living treasure, one of the greatest motorcycling champions in history?
From the Bench and Loom website:

Giacomo Agostini is one of the greatest names in the history of competitive motorcycling.

He is the longest reigning champion of grand prix racing to have ever lived. For an astounding 30 years he held the title of the most successful racer of all time until the record fell to fellow Italian Valentino Rossi. With 122 GP wins (including 10 Isle of Man TTs) and 15 World Championships, Agostini’s name is synonymous with victory.

His celebrity status obliges his presence at various international racing celebrations each year, and an admiring crowd is found everywhere he goes. Yet despite his demand, this legend of motorsport does not coach race teams or teach riding courses. Instead, Ago (as he is affectionately known by his legion of fans) chooses to spend his time in privacy with his family in Europe.

Available through Bench & Loom is an exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to spend a day privately riding with Agostini. Choose between a racetrack or quiet back roads in either California or Spain. The day can be spent one-on-one or with up to four of your friends. The choice is yours. 

$30,000 Spanish back roads
$50,000 Spanish racetrack (Jerez, pending availability)
$35,000 California back roads
$55,000 California racetrack (Monterey, pending availability)


matt Smith said...

I'd love a ride with Ago, but for 30 G's I'd rather have a hell of a nice motorcycle. I guess I'm not in the income bracket that this is catering towards. However, if it were gifted to me....

GuitarSlinger said...

Assuming I had the $30K to toss away ( lets face it , there are much better ways to spend $30K these days ) I'd go for the Spanish back roads , hands down .

Sad thing is it'll be some well heeled ' Chav' that'll spend the money , making the experience for the very private Ago , less than enjoyable .

Oh well . Nice thought at least .

Grandpa Jimbo said...

I knew Phil Hill for a number of years but he never asked me to go for a drive with him. I did help him fuel up a Talbot-Lago at Laguna Seca once. He was spilling alcohol all over the place and himself and needed the help. He was pitted next to me.

Jim A., Tucson, AZ

Charles said...

If anyone has $35k laying around and wants to see me "squeee" like a little schoolgirl? buy me the California roads.

and I do not care what bikes, we could do it on 50cc mopeds and I would be as happy.

if I was a good man, I would suggest we take collection to send Paul, as he could photograph and write, and share. but me? Squeee like a schoolgirl

Ed Kunath said...

I agree, we should send Paul.

A few years ago I met Ago at a New Zealand racetrack. He was kind, and surprisingly shy.

Given a choice I would rather have dinner with him and let him talk endlessly about GP motorcycle racing's golden era. That would be for the ages.

Anonymous said...

Really? 30-50k? Even Elliot Spitzer might find that fee a bit much.

daveinnola said...

a day following ago around the island would be the dog s bollocks

Ferdinand Edwards said...

This is an absurd amount of money. Groucho Marx famously said he wouldn't join any club that would have him as a member. Agreed - it would be a buzz to ride with a colossus like Ago but what on earth would he get out of riding with us underlings apart from a nicely enlarged bank balance? Does he really need the dough?

Anonymous said...

"a day following ago around the island would be the dog s bollocks"....well, you won't be able to follow him. Unless he rides like a lesser mortal. And if he does that, where is the point of riding with Ago?

The Vintagent said...

I do believe you have the option of riding pillion...which would be enlightening!

daveinnola said...

pillion i aint been banned (never caught)lesser moratal ago might have rode the island and won but he never left the cellar cafe an burned up eton high street and won even little bill gave up street racing for the safer tracks , overtaking into oncoming traffic ia a whole different world