Thursday, November 24, 2011

'SELLING SPEED' IN 'CAFE RACERS' MAG

I don't generally publicize my work in print here at The Vintagent, but I should, as I write regularly for Mens' File, Cycle World, Café Racers, etc...so if you're able to grab a copy of Café Racers (France), the latest issue (on newsstands now) contains a beautifully laid out exploration of the use of Speed imagery in motorcycle advertising, from 1900 to the 1970s.  I was able to document much of this history with the help of friends, with excellent collections of moto ephemera - many thanks, and you know who you are!

I'll publish a version in English here on The Vintagent, in a few weeks.

6 comments:

Andrew Macpherson said...

I look forward to seeeing it, my first job was in the photo dept of John Montagu Library at the NMM in Beaulieu, and I got to see so many incredible images back then, seeing this takes me right back there.
I doubt I'll get to see a French mag here in LA, so please do post the full story and images here.

GuitarSlinger said...

+1

No French magazines of any kind make their way to KC ( Mens File either ) so yes , please do put up the article for those of us in Culturally Deprived areas to read

Grandpa Jimbo said...

Paul:
If you don't toot your own horn every now and then it only means your battery is dead!

Jim A., Tucson, AZ

Anonymous said...

Similar theme, could you do a piece on some of the artists like Ernst Ruprecht, had a pretty fascinating way of capturing what i imagine was the spirit of the time

The Vintagent said...

Great idea; I really haven't featured the amazing graphic artists who have shaped our image of the motorcycle...Ruprecht's 'Bern TT' poster is a classic!

Jon Dudley said...

The late Bob Freeman too?