Friday, June 15, 2012

BONHAMS OXFORD SALE

I spotted this 1921 Norton 16H 'flat tank' at the Bonhams Oxford sale site; its pretty rare to find any  early '20s Norton, let alone a relatively inexpensive basket case.  I had a spare Model 18 engine and gearbox for a few years (while I had my Model 18/25 racer), and despaired of finding a loose frame to make up another bike...they just aren't around.  Wish I'd found this pile...but then, even the 16H can be tuned up a lá Brooklands racers of the period, and with a gearbox and clutch, they can be ridden on the street...

2 comments:

Don O'Reilly said...

my gawd! what a catalog!
Do you think Bonhams estimates the selling prices low to encourage bidding? just wondering. THANKS!

occhiolungo said...

They'd only estimate low prices if they wanted to get more people to come in and bid... :) by the way, did you see this flat tank Norton on ebay last week? 6k pounds http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1923-Norton-Big-4-633cc-/300718522775?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4604388197#ht_530wt_1315